Friday, May 22, 2009

Many faces of Cauliflower

I don't know about you, but I really enjoy cauliflower. I've only recently started branching out in my preparation of cauliflower -- but these are some of the recipes I've come to enjoy!



Cauliflower absorbs the flavors it is cooked with really well -- so spice it up a bit, you'll enjoy what you get.


Instead of Potatoes...
2 C cauliflower, chopped
1 T cream cheese (fat free or low fat works fine)
1 T butter
2 T Parmesan cheese, grated

Boil cauliflower in about an inch of water for about 6 minutes, until tender. Drain. Then, puree with cream cheese and butter. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, and serve warm.


Instead of Rice...
1 C cauliflower florets, sliced lenthwise
1 leek (white part only), sliced
1 T olive oil
2 T water

Saute the sliced leek in the olive oil. Add 1 C florets and 2 T water. Cover, and cook for 2 minutes. Serve warm.


Instead of Couscous...
2 C cauliflower florets
1 T olive oil
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. coriander
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Toss the cauliflower together with the oil and spices. Place in a glass baking dish and bake at 450 for 25 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. These are great ideas! We eat a lot of these starches and replacing them with cauliflower--which we also love--seems like a great thing:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cauliflower but I very rarely purchase it. I'm not sure why. I just might have to try one of these recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! I am going to have to try the first and last ASAP. I've been trying to get more cruciferous vegetables into my diet but only have so many ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously good stuff. I'm going to include a link to this page from my website; we addressed cruciferous vegetables last week! For the last commenter, you can find more about the health benefits at www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/05/04/food-for-thought-a-family-of-super-vegetables/ and the links at the end of the post for recipe ideas. Thanks for the easy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these, I've heard about using cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes, but never sure how to do it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...