Monday, March 8, 2010

SnoWhite is out of town... oh no.

As you might have guessed from the limited number of posts on Finding Joy in My Kitchen in recent days SnoWhite is out of town. This has meant that I have not been able to enjoy of SnoWhite's wonderful cooking and that I, like many of you, have had to figure this cooking thing out.

Fortunately, I know how to turn on the oven and I can search through the recipes to find something good to eat. Unfortunately, SnoWhite has the camera with her so I cannot take salivating pictures of the foods that I am making like she does.

Last night, I tried the Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup and I decided to make a few changes to recipe because I like to do that and I think experimenting is half the fun of cooking.

First off, I decided that after boiling the potatoes and adding the broccoli that I would make the cream base somewhat following the suggestion in the potato soup recipe. I like the consistency of the cream base in this soup better, so rather than using the milk suggested in cheesy broccoli potato I used the half and half, a little more water, a little corn starch, and flour.  When I added the half and half I removed the pot from the flame, this avoids the curdling of the mixture when you add milk or half and half.

Second, I decided that the recipe may benefit from a little bit of butter (about a 1 tablespoon), some garlic, and more pepper. I do not like to use measuring cups or teaspoons as I think half the fun of cooking is just throwing things together, tasting what I make as I go, and adjusting as I see fit. This is what I did, I added the garlic and pepper, and brought the mixture to a boil and tasted what I had a few times to see if I liked it.

After it boiled, I removed the pot from the heat and let it cool for two or three minutes. Then, I added extra sharp cheese slowly to the mixture I had created. I did this slowly by adding a little bit of cheese at a time and stirring it in. I do not like adding the cheese when the mixture just finishes boiling because I would not get the right consistency and I think this is important.

Finally, when you have mixed in all of the cheese I added parpika (liberally) and a little bit of salt.

It tasted really good; sorry I do not have any pictures.

I also apologize that I do not have exact amounts for the modifications since I did not exactly measure as I was throwing the soup together. Anyway, I hope that my modifications may inspire you to modify other recipes from SnoWhite. Some of her recipes are pretty similar and I think it is fun to mix and match a few different things and see what you come up with.

I may try to post another recipe in the next couple of days if I get a chance.

Thanks for reading...
Frog Prince

8 comments:

  1. Hi Frog Prince, so glad to see that your experimenting in the kitchen, way to go. That soup sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am impressed that you know how to get into her blog. My hubby wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to do that, nor would he want to. :) You are a brave man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting! We will miss your SnoWhite, but will enjoy what you have to share. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad always said the best cooks never have to measure ingredients! Since he is the one who taught me how to cook, I usually make something several times before I remember to measure the ingredients. Your modifications sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing it. If I was out of town, my husband would be eating marshmallows and saltine crackers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing it. If I was out of town, my husband would be eating marshmallows and saltine crackers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stepping in!! It is nice to hear how you switched things up:)
    Shorty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Frog Prince! You're modifications sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...