Monday, June 28, 2010

Wheat Oatmeal Bread




I have an affinity for oats.


I think they might be my favorite baking ingredient {don't tell my white whole wheat flour, which is a close second}.


Aren't they just wonderful?

They do this great thing to bread... they keep it super moist.


Really.

This healthy bread uses all whole wheat flour, oats, honey as a sweetener and olive oil as a fat -- yep, it's  got the good stuff in it :)

But you don't have to take my word for it.

Oatmeal Wheat Bread - Adapted from Heartfelt Homemaking
{Print Recipe}

1 C warm water
1/2 T yeast
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 C oats {if Old Fashioned, run through the blender to break apart}
1 C wheat flour
1 C white wheat flour
1 C bread flour
1/6 C olive oil
1/6 C honey

If you have a bread machine -- put the ingredients in the bread machine according to manufacturers directions.  Be sure to place the oil in before the honey... so the honey slides right out of the measuring cup :)


Place the insert into your machine and let the machine do all the hard work for you!  


Set the machine cycle to whole wheat and about 3 hours later, enjoy some delicious, moist oatmeal bread.


If you don't have a bread machine, or want to make the bread by hand, it's quite simple to do, really.  

First, combine the water and yeast in a large bowl {or, the bowl from your mixer}.  Let this mixture sit for about 5 minutes.  Then, add in the oil, honey, salt and oatmeal.  Mix to combine.  

Next, add in the flours, 1 C at a time, mixing as you go.  

Once most of the flour is mixed, stick a clean hand into the bowl and begin to knead the dough right in the large bowl {I've had success getting the dough started this way}.  

Then, continue kneading on a lightly floured surface for 7-9 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.  

Place a dough into a lightly greased bowl; cover and let it sit for an hour in a warm place until doubled in size. Punch the dough down, and then shape it into a greased loaf pan.  Let the loaf rise for about an hour or until the loaf is 1 inch above the side of the pan.  

Then, bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, until lightly browned.  

Enjoy!



This recipe is linked to:

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! I can't wait to try it. I think oats are my favorite pantry staple - I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bread sounds delicious. I have my stand-by whole wheat bread I make each week to have on hand for sandwiches, but I think I'll try this one out for a change and see how hubby & the boys like it!

    I always enjoy your recipes...congrats on your new home!...and kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't make bread often but if and when I do, this will be it. I LOVE oatmeal too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to try this out! Thanks for having the print version, its so nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello, I love your blog and I usually make all my meal plans from your recipe index! Thanks so much for sharing:) I will have to try the bread, my husband loves the italian herb rolls; which I make into sub rolls for his sandwiches for lunch. I also linked you to my sidebar-www.keepinmyheartathome.blogspot.com

    You ARE helping me find joy in my kitchen, THANK YOU!!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! I love making my own bread - thank you for including directions for those of us who don't have a bread maker so I can give this a shot! It looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful bread! I should try to do a gluten-free version of this in the near future. :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing and linking up. I can almost smell it. When I was young my mom made homemade bread and it was the best thing to smell after a day at school as I stepped through the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried my hand at bread but this looks fairly easy and really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love bread with oatmeal, made some a while back with oatmeal and honey :) Visiting you from Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found you watching my traffic source. So glad you were able to make a bread you love based on my recipe! We think it is yummy too. Our new bread passion is sourdough! Really tasty with more health benefits and nutrition. Thanks for linking to my recipe. Happy baking! ~ Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...